Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: [Somewhat OT] About dailymanga.org

  1. #1
    Inactive Member crystalgryphon's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2003
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    . . . it looks like the people running the site are on the verge of shutting it down due to problems with bots/hackers. (This information is on the French version of their main index page, but not on the English one for some reason, so I thought I'd pass it on to any interested parties here who don't read French.)

  2. #2
    Inactive Member yukawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2002
    Posts
    441
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For those who wants the official version...

    "Dailymanga should close within a week if I don't find any solution to all these hackers and bots who makes us work so hard everyday.

    I have 5 days to do something... and I'll admit I'm tired of searching; all the staff members are active members of french and us teams so you'll find them at their own work.

    In case I couldn't chance this topic after tomorow (thanks for the 4 day week-end that spared us a bit) well then thank you to all the visitors who passed to see us on the chan, to those who wrote on the forum or in the guestbook (we should have put it up before ^^ [img]wink.gif[/img]

    I don't beleive in miracles and I already tried everything.
    Kisses to all. for me go to division XIII

    NB: If a miracle happened (we never know) we'll continue our job until the closing (inbetween today and the 15 ) I'll put back a link to the guestbook you can hack it now it's alright I saved it all."

    [of course that's my translation of it, but it's only for the message anyway]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member tenjou_sama's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What were the hackers and bots doing? I've never heard anything about it until now....

    Such a shame that the site is having to close down

  4. #4
    Inactive Member yukawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 11th, 2002
    Posts
    441
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    from what I got from the tag board the hackers where playing with the codes of the tag and the updates, and the bots were direct linking to the page or somthing so that the main page reloaded every second like and it was making the site generaly bug.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member jadey's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 6th, 2003
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Unhappy

    NOOOO.. i love daily manga. damn..i hope i hope i hope they find who's doing it! that site was sooo good. plus it introduced to so many manga groups...mangas etc.

    so sad to hear about it's possible closing ;_;

  6. #6
    Inactive Member crystalgryphon's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2003
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are actually something like ten bots, each reloading the page *twice* a second. Since the number of connections that the PHP scripts generating the page can make to the database simultaneously is limited, it's becoming harder and harder for anyone *but* the bots to access the page--I get a "too many database connections" error message as often as not on my first attempt to access it these days.

    That part of the problem *could* be brought under control (either by banning the bots' IP addresses (and, if necessary, the subnets they rode in on) from accessing the server, or by kludging the main page so that it's no longer being generated from scratch by the scripts for every request, if I'm correct in my understanding that it's just the main page that the bots are DoS'ing--that might help with the hackers, too), but I get the impression that the site's maintainers are just tired of dealing with unpleasant things like this.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member crystalgryphon's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 4th, 2003
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Update: They're switching hosts, which they hope will ameliorate the problem.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •